The last month of summer is bittersweet for so many reasons: it’s the end of pools, tans, and sandals, but it’s also the start of fall, which is (in my opinion) the greatest season of all. The urge to go Back to School shopping never really leaves us, so fall is the best time to stock up on wardrobe essentials, celebrate our favorite shows coming back, and get excited for the upcoming explosion of holidays. Here are some of the best things about this month, all vintage-tinged of course, let me know what you’re loving right now in the comments!
- The Scent: For the first time in awhile, Chanel is launching a new perfume this month. Called Coco Noir, the scent harkens back to the classic feminine topnotes that Chanel is famous for, with a dramatic retro edge to it as well.
- The Legend: 17 years ago this month, Grateful Dead founder and original hippie Jerry Garcia died in his sleep. He left behind millions of fans, thousands of songs, and a legendary persona that will never be seen again.
- The Collection: It is safe to assume that the Fall runways will have plenty of retro influence, which we can already see from Band of Outsider’s new line, inspired by ’70s icons like Diane Keaton and Lauren Hutton.
- The Comeback: One of the best moments of the month so far was when The Spice Girls briefly re-united for the Olympics Closing Ceremony. I saw their reunion concert 4 years ago and can honestly say it was the best concert I’ve ever been to.
- The Loss: The literary community and womankind in general lost an icon this month when Helen Gurley Brown, the legendary editor of Cosmopolitan magazine died. She was the original Carrie Bradshaw, and never lost her signature style!